Monday, October 1, 2012

Wendy Carlos and A Clockwork Orange


First of all, A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite books and movies of all time. I love the language, I love the plot, and I love the idea of perspective forcing the reader to feel sympathy for the bad guy. Alex has very few redeeming qualities, but because of getting to hear the story from his perspective we relate to him.

Wendy Carlos (born Walter Carlos) wrote the score for A Clockwork Orange. Her story begins at a very young age, as she composed music and built computers. She was one of Moog's first customers, and used it frequently in her compositions. She studied electronic music at Columbia college. She went on to compose many individual pieces and work on movie scores, including A Clockwork Orange and The Shining. Not only is she an accomplished pioneer of electronic music, she also happens to be a solar eclipse photographer. She is still alive today at age 72.

I find Wendy fascinating, both in personal life and in compositions. Here is Funeral for Queen Mary for ACO:


1 comment:

  1. I think Wendy CARLOS realisations are the best and awesome combination of styles of classic in electronic with Isao TOMITA.
    Her original music transcriptions with strange, dark, funny and unusual synthesizer sounds gives you "goosebumps" effects.
    Wendy CARLOS ' Switched On Bach was my first reason to love synthesizer and electronic music in 1968, just in parallel time of my favorite tastes for Raymond SCOTT, Jean Jacques PERREY, Roger ROGER, Geshon KINGSLEY and however Isao TOMITA ...
    (sorry for my english)...

    ReplyDelete