Monday, September 10, 2012

Madame Butterfly Animation

The Madama Butterfly animation was interesting and appropriately disturbing. Although it wasn't very long, it summarized the most key and dramatic parts of the opera. In order to have more of an idea of what exactly I was watching, I researched the plot a bit before finishing the video. I'm glad I did, because if not I would have been mostly clueless to the strange representation of suicide in the final moments of the video. It was interesting what parts of the opera the animator put the most focus on. The three main parts of the video were focussed on the American and Madame Butterfly making love, Madame Butterfly waiting for her American, and her suicide. It is difficult to condense an entire opera down to 10 minutes, but I think Pjotr Sapegin did so eloquently.

No comments:

Post a Comment